Friday, December 3, 2010

I Am a Blogging Failure!

I realized something today. I really like reading other people's blogs, however I am TERRIBLE at updating my own. I guess I'm not that interesting. Maybe? Oh well. I do have something to write about this week, though, funny enough. Bear with me...

November and December are busy months for many. Thanksgiving and Christmas alone are enough to stress a person out. For our family, it is doubly chaotic. We have a miriad of birthdays in November. My mother's is the 9th, dad on the 16th, and both my 2nd daughter AND my husband on the 27th. That means get togethers, parties, etc. for all...PLUS Thanksgiving, which lands directly ON my husband and daughter's birthday every fifth year. Yikes. So, there are multiple gifts needed, invitations to send, parties to plan and house cleaning to be done. It really stresses me out. It shouldn't, I know. But it does. A lot. Usually we just do a party for our daughter and then a small family get together for my husband with the immediate family. However, this year is his 40th and it's kind of a big deal, don't you agree? So I decided to plan a party for him. Just a few of his colleagues from work in our home. Oh, and the party for a certain 7-year-old with twenty little girls. Easy enough, right?

WRONG.

I stressed as usual. Thanksgiving came and went, and we had a lovely time. My husband's aunt and uncle came into town and it was so nice seeing them. We had a terrific dinner and visited, then went home. Six o'clock the next morning my husband woke in excruciating pain out of a dead sleep. He woke me at 8am after the pain had not stopped and was getting worse. He believed he had a kidney stone.

He was right.

After confirming the kidney stone with a CT, they also noticed he had a very BAD appendix. So the day before his birthday, he got an appendectomy and an overnight stay in the hospital. Funny, I don't remember those on his list. My mother-in-law saved the day and came to our house while I stayed at the hospital awaiting his surgery. She rallied the troops in true grandma form, plus baking two dozen cupcakes and icing them, PLUS helping get the house cleaned and party-ready.

Y'all, I have the WORLD'S GREATEST MOM-IN-LAW! I came home to everything ready. The house was clean, the cupcakes were ready, the games were planned, EVERYTHING. Saturday morning at party time, she also led the party games while I ordered pizzas and cleaned up an entire jug of pink lemonade that emptied OUT of my fridge and ONTO my kitchen floor.

Yeah, really.

We got through that party and we have spent the week helping hubby heal. He has recouperated all week and finally returned to work for a half-day today. This week has been simply wonderful. He has been home to be with the kids and cuddle, we've watched movies, he's had no stress...it's been grand. Just when I thought life had thrown the stick into "overdrive", we were forced (thank you, Jesus!) to slow down and just rest. We needed that. Not saying God decided to give my husband excruciating pain in the form of a kidney stone and surgery, but He allowed the circumstances to be such that we could enjoy the time to rest and come to a screeching halt. We enjoyed our down time together immensely. I even joked that I'm going to have to schedule surgeries for him every few months now. (TOTALLY kidding.)

Now I'm planning for his 40th birthday party tomorrow night. We have purchased everything but the wine, and I'm cleaning the house today. My goal is to have everything cleaned and primped and prepared so that I am not doing anything last-minute and nothing that would add stress or chaos to the mix. Here's hoping that tomorrow will be a wonderful celebration for my sweetie.

And here comes CHRISTMAS! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment