One week ago today, in the bitterly cold, windy corridor of the funeral home's mausoleum, we interred my grandmother. Her ashes were placed right alongside my grandfather's, in a beautiful box that my uncle hand-crafted from hickory wood and lined with red crushed velvet. It was a beautiful service. Grandma's pastor was present and spoke so wonderfully of the truth about salvation and eternity. It was Spirit-filled, Spirit-led, and exactly what I would love to have had prepared for her.
Afterward, we all went to the church to celebrate Grandma's life. We had a wonderful service and time of reflection on her life. We shared memories and antecdotes about her and enjoyed laughter and tears alike as we remembered special moments. I was priviledged to sing four of her favorite songs, that she selected for me to sing. I was nervous, as I did not know two of them previously, however they went fine. My cousin, Adam, accompanied on the piano and played a beautiful prelude and postlude on the pipe organ. It was heavenly. I could not have done any of it without him.
It was really an amazing service. Grandma's other pastor gave a sermon/message that was rooted in salvation and specified exactly how we know if we will see Grandma again in Eternity. His message on acceptance of Christ was very eloquent. I pray that whomever was in attendance who does NOT know Jesus as their Savior heard something that sparked a fire in their own soul. A desire to learn and to know Him. And when it was all over? I found out my father had come...and so I prayed for him as well. God truly works in mysterious ways.
Another nice surprise was that not only did my two friends from church come to the celebration of life for Grandma, but also her own (and mine) primary care physician! Yes, that's right -- her DOCTOR came! I was so grateful. He was so good to her in life, and then he came to honor her after her death. I was blown over.
I am very thankful that Grandma is no longer here on earth, in her earthly 92-year-old painful body. Though I miss her like crazy, I was glad to let her go. Glad to let her go Home to her Heavenly Father and receive life everlasting - a fact that was made known to me and reassured me once or twice before her death, and then for certain during the sermon given by her pastor. I am grateful for that knowledge and assurance.
Until we meet again, Grandma...I love you and I can't wait to meet up with you again someday that side of Paradise!
No comments:
Post a Comment