Ahhhh, he's home. My husband came home from Guatemala last night around 5:30 p.m. I was so happy to see him! He has been out of the country before, but it was different then. I've never been so happy to see anyone in my entire life.
He came off the plane and the medical mission team was met by the local news crew, so we headed off and away as fast as we could. John doesn't like to be in the spotlight and did NOT want to face a news crew. He left that up to another doc in the group.
I cannot express how proud I am of my husband, but even more how humbled he was by this trip. In the five days that they were there in San Lucas, they operated on 63 people. Of that 63, 55 were general surgery cases (John). Usually, here in the U.S. he does not do pediatric cases. In Guatemala, he did many cases on kids - even as young as 3 and 9 months! He was both emotionally and verbally blessed by many of these people, one even giving him a handwoven cloth woven on a hand loom. What a treasure! I'm thankful, however, that he knows Who it is that has given him the ability to treat, and to heal. He realizes that his hands have a greater Guide than medical ability and skill. God has given him the gift of being able to do what he does, and he does not take that for granted. I love that about him.
I have to admit, even after talking to John when he called to tell me about the volcano, tropical storm, mudslides, etc. that delayed them, I was naive. I did not fully realize the gravity of the situation until he was on his way out of there and I'd had the courage to look up the news on it. Plus, once he was home safe he let me know what it was like. He reported how the mudslides/landslides sounded like multiple tornadoes...like freight trains coming, and how the earth would shake and rumble. He told me about the volcano, how the ash and chunks of boulders coming out of it looked. How it covered the ground and grounded the planes at the airport. He also described the washed out roads. The flooding and the people that were lost and/or missing. I can't imagine. Then I saw the sinkholes on the news. WOW. So much more than my mind could fathom.
Then came the fear again. Not the "in it" fear, but the "after fear". The familiar feelings of "what if" that I know I should not feel, but I do. What if I'd been left alone? What if he didn't come back? What if it was as bad as the reality that my naive mind did not let me imagine? What if.
"If" that had all happened, I would still be praising God. I would still know that He is my Strength. My Rock. My Fortress. My faith would not waiver. I would praise Him still. I know this is true. I am glad, however, that it is not reality for me now. I am so SO thankful that he is home, safe and sound. He came home safe and will return next year to do the same...hopefully with me at his side that time. Until then...he'll do the life saving here locally. Because he's so good at it. He and God make a great team.
Pray for those who did not make it. Pray for those still missing. May God somehow be seen and glorified in this.
No comments:
Post a Comment