Monday, March 29, 2010

Feminism

I read a certain blog, Cjane: Enjoy It, that I have come to love. Courtney (aka Cjane) is a Mormon (LDS), but I am not. That doesn't keep me from reading her blog. I have found that although our Christian faiths vary, we have much in common. First and foremost, we both love Jesus.

There are many differences that separate us, but I love the things we have in common. Motherhood, the love of pretty things, favoring elegance in simplicity, and wishing we were born in a simpler time.

I get that. I get her.

Recently she posted about whether or not she considered herself a "feminist". I think that the word "feminist" has such a horrid connotation now, and that is unfortunate. So I did two things: first I looked up how Webster's defines it. Webster's online definition for FEMINISM reads..."The term feminism can be used to describe a political, cultural or economic movement aimed at establishing equal rights and legal protection for women. Feminism involves political, cultural and sociological theories, as well as philosophies concerned with issues of gender difference. It is also a movement that advocates gender equality for women and campaigns for women's rights and interests".

When I think of the word "feminism", I have to admit I also get a bad feeling in my gut. Society has degraded the term to something abhorent. I would say to be called a feminist would be offensive to me. What I learned in reading the comments after Cjane's post, however, was that people go crazy when you say that. True feminists, those bra-burners who shake their fists in the air at the slightest hint of someone proclaiming a minute difference in abilites of men and women, will strike you down with great fury if you utter such atrocities. They immediately begin a tirade of what women in the world endure and what women in our country of the U.S. have dealt with in history, before women's suffrage, and so on and so on. So, I gave some thought to what MY OWN definition of feminism is.

Here's what I feel, right now, at this moment:

I think feminism could be defined as the need for some women to protect other women and to educate the masses about the need for equality among men and women. I would say, also, that it encompasses their desire to equalize genders. A boy can play with a doll and not be homosexual, or a girl can play with trucks and wear jeans and still be a girl...and if not, that is okay too. It makes me think of those who rallied like crazy for a woman to be equal in the eyes of the Army, but I question what a woman is going to do standing breast-deep in muddy water for days when it may be "her time of the month". So then this term "feminism" and this post began gearing more toward the physical differences between men and women and how they are made. With that, all kinds of religious and philosophical discussions sprouted...as well as horrible comments and attacks on Cjane's religion and her personal beliefs. This coming from the very liberal minds who fight for each individual's right to believe what they want to believe. Until you say you don't agree with them.

When it comes to feminism and gender roles, I do rely on my faith. God's Word tells me that He made man, then He made woman. There are hundreds of scriptures dealing with men and women, their differences and their roles. For some reason, the second you talk about this from a Biblical standpoint, you lose credibility in the eyes of a non-believer. This is so unfortunate. God did make men and women different. They weren't created to be the same. Equal? Ok, maybe in some ways...but not the same. It is not because man is better, or not because man is smarter, and not because man is more superior. Simply put, God put man in charge. God holds the men accountable for what He has given to him, including the beloved women in their lives. He created man to provide, to love, to cherish, and to protect. In the same way, He made woman to respect, nurture, and be a helper and companion to man. They are to come alongside each other and be one. Neither one better or worse.

It is for the reason mentioned above that we get so angered and passionate about women in the world who are mistreated, abused, mutilated, and the like. It is for reasons like this that we rally a cause and raise money to help stop these atrocities from occuring. We would NEVER want another woman to endure anything other than what God has in store for her...which is the worth "far above rubies". This is how HE sees her, and I believe He wants everyone - male and female - to view her this way.

I fully realize the obstacles that women in the United States have had to overcome. I realize the oppression that women had in history, such as not being allowed to have basic rights such as education, voting, the choice to work, the ability to fight for their country, or numerous other things that women used to be banned from doing. Feminism in it's best connotation, to me, would be these good things. Allowing these things for women. That would be a "good" feminism for me. It's when people start generalizing that begins to get to me. Don't make girls be frilly, don't masculinize boys...it hampers their creativity and individuality. No, I do not agree. There are two genders. Male and female. I could go on with this, but I won't because it will get me off topic completely. Suffice it to say that it's when feminism neuters and spays the men and women of the world and tries to make them the same that makes me protest this "feminism" in it's extreme form.

I have to say I agree with Cjane. I am a Daughter of God and He loves me. He created me for greatness, alongside my husband and for the furtherance of His kingdom to bring more daughters and sons into this world for His Glory! I am well aware of the horrific events that go on in other parts of the world, of abuse and hatred toward them. I do not agree with it, and I do not pretend it doesn't exist. I simply know that in the time that I live and the place in which I live, my role is to complete my husband and to raise my children to be Godly examples of Christ's love. I wish for each and every woman that she would have the desires of her heart...whether that might be a nice house with a picket fence, a husband, 2 kids and a dog, or just enough strength or grace to make it through the next day or night. And I believe that God can accomplish it all.

For my fellow sisters, I pray that you ALL have peace, the love in your heart for the One who created you, and faith in the One who died for you. That no matter WHAT your circumstance, you will be comforted by Him and given strength in Him and Him alone.

As with Courtney's blog, which was HER blog and HER point of view, this is MY blog and MY point of view. I do not claim to have all the answers or to know-it-all, I do not claim to share the views of any one woman or many women. I simply wanted to post what I came away with after reading Cjane's take on things.

God Bless you all,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment