Monday, May 23, 2011

Joplin

My husband and I attended college at Pittsburg State University located in Pittsburg, Kansas. It is roughly two hours' drive directly south of Kansas City. Pittsburg has lots to offer and is very comfortable, however on weekends sometimes we would drive to Joplin, MO, just southeast of P-burg, to go to stores that we didn't have or to visit restaurant chains like Olive Garden and go to Lowe's or Home Depot. One of our favorite places to eat every year on our anniversary was Travetti's for italian food.

Sunday, May 22nd an F-4 or F-5 (has not been officially classified as I type this) tornado tore right through the middle of town. It touched down and stayed on the ground for six grueling, destructive miles. The devastation is horrible. So far, 89 lives have been confirmed lost. Sadly, more are expected as the search and rescue teams go through the rubble. Much of the town is just that....rubble. The Red Cross estimated 75% of the town was "decimated". I cannot fathom. The pictures being posted and the reports and video coming in now are hard to see. I cannot comprehend it. While there have been several recent tornado disasters in other areas (Reading, KS...Minneapolis, MN...Alabama, etc.), and my heart and prayers go out to ALL of those affected, I am somewhat more distraught over Joplin because it's a place that is familiar to me. Is that terrible? I also have family who used to live there and who have friends and family members that had extreme damage. Some of them they haven't heard from yet. How awful.

I pray that if you (if anyone) are reading this, you will take a moment and pray for all of those people in Joplin and surrounding areas. My sister-in-law and her husband lost their entire lake home and are concerned for others in that area, as well as her husband's parents' home that took on damage. They are down there now, and I pray for their safety and for emotional protection as well.

Finally, I know that this evening and tomorrow we are to have more storms come through the midwest and other areas. Please continue to lift these people up in prayer. The outpouring of love and kindess, as well as relief workers and volunteers is amazing. Pray that this continues. If anyone reading this has been affected, I pray for you as well.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." Psalm 46:1-3

1 comment:

  1. I'm turning in for the evening and the death toll is now at 116. So sad. :(

    ReplyDelete