Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day of Mom's at-home Preschool!

Today was our first day at home in our new "preschool". I use that term lightly because it's my first attempt at anything possibly closely resembling "homeschooling". Granted, I am not smart enough to actually teach them a real homeschool curriculum past the preschool or kindergarten stage, but I do feel qualified to go this far. I am using a curriculum that my sister-in-law used on both of her boys, in partnership with the Hooked on Phonics program. So today was our first introductory day!

I have a little school area set up (if I could figure out how to add pictures to my blog I would show it to you). It consists of a large area with a 6x9 rug and 4x5 area of floor tiles in alphabet letters and numbers. I have a plastic kids' picnic table that I'm using for their "desk", a chair and table for me, a bookcase, a chest of drawers with my stuff in it, and a chalkboard. My grandfather made this chalkboard and I always loved it as a child. It is built easel-style, with hinges. One side has a "tray" on the bottom for chalk and an eraser. It really needs to be recoated with chalkboard paint, but I haven't done that yet. I just love that I can use something that I loved so much as a kid and hope that my kids love it just the same! Grandpa would absolutely LOVE that I'm using it.

I also sat down and made my "lesson plans" for the rest of the week and next week. I'm all set. I am really loving this, honestly. For three years in high-school I was an assistant teacher at a preschool, and also a student-teacher to kindergarteners during my senior year. I went on to major in elementary education in college, but sadly did not finish my degree. I have changed my major twice since then, but maybe God is calling me back to "my first love"...who knows? For now, I am really enjoying the opportunity to teach my children and to hopefully prepare them well for school years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment